August update

Hi Everyone,

I can’t believe it has been over a month since my last update as to what is happening at SRPS.  With this in mind, I have a lot to bring you up to date on.  The Board met last Friday to discuss a number of issues that are important to all of us.  Unfortunately we didn’t have time to address the entire agenda, though here are the highlights of items discussed.  

1.  We are in need of a new Competition Chair, as Tara will not be able to continue in the position next year.  This is a vital position in the club, and will be a member of the Board of Directors.  Below are the general duties of the Competition Chair, and if you are interested I encourage you to contact me.  Most of what we do as a club revolves around competitions, so you can see we can not let this position go unfilled.  

Competition Chair – Organizes the monthly and Endof-Year competitions. Appoints 

and serves on the Review Committee. Has the authority to disqualify images from a competition if they do not conform to the guidelines for the category(ies) entered. Oversees tabulation and publishing to the membership of competition results; maintains competition records for five (5) years; orders ribbons and trophies as needed; prepares annual Awards Dinner program; submits an annual budget request and all expenses to the Treasurer. Also serves on the Advancement Committee and keeps the Vice-President informed concerning members who meet the requirements for advancement. (See Competition Rules, Section 4.0.) May be appointed to serve on the Board. (See Board of Directors, Constitution and Bylaws.) 

2.  It was brought to the Board’s attention we are primarily a club of amateur photographers.  Members who become professional photographers after being in the club can continue to compete and advance per the competition rules.  We recently had two professional photographers join the club.  Due to the excellence of their work, it has created an uneven playing field for those who have participated in competitions for years, trying to move from AA to Master level.  The Board discussed this at length due to the impact on other members.  It was decided to form a committee of four to come up with an alternate path to Master level for these professional photographers.  The idea of “professional Affiliate” was discussed and the committee will present options to the board and ultimately to the membership for a potential rule change.  If you have any thoughts on this matter please contact one of the committee members so they can hear your ideas.  The members of the committee are Greg Pech, Tony Reynes, Tara Pavis and Nancy Goodenough.  

3.  Fund Raising:  You may or may not know we are one of many groups that meet at the Luther Burbank Art and Garden Center.  As one of the participants we have been asked to raise $5000 as our part of an improvement project at the facility.  Painting, carpeting and other updates that will enhance the experience of the facility for  us and others.  We have started to do this with the 50-50 drawing.  The 50-50 has proven to be popular and we will continue do it at each of our meetings.  This will only get us so far though.  We also have a simple way you can donate to the club via PayPal or Credit Card on our website to make a TAX DEDUCTIBLE donation.  Go to our website and click on the member tab.  Scroll past the membership renewal tab and at the bottom of the page you will see a tab to enable you to donate to the club.  Remember this is TAX DEDUCTIBLE.  Your help is appreciated.  

Additionally, we will be holding a used equipment sale in November at our end of year competition.  If you have equipment you no longer use or need, and are willing to donate it to the club to be sold, let  us know.  We will use these funds to raise our portion of the improvement project costs.  

4.  We are examining our options when it comes to our insurance.  We have coverage for our members and the facility. We are examining any way possible to save money on our premium costs.  Greg Pech is looking into this.  When the Directors of the LBAGC meet in September we will find out exactly what is required, so we only pay for what is necessary.  

5.  Student Affiliates:  The Board also discussed student affiliates  as a way to encourage later membership and promote the art of photography, and our club.  This will also provide us with another reason to maintain our tax deductible status.  Items discussed were no entry into competitions, ability to attend field trips and meetings to learn the art of photography.  The affiliate would also have to be 18 years or older.  If you have any other thoughts please let me know.

6.  Don’t forget to get  your photo information to Tim Allen for the exhibition at the Finley Community Center.  Our October program meeting will be attendance at the reception for the exhibition.  I’m looking forward to seeing everyones work.  Don’t forget, get in touch with Tim if you have any questions, time is running short.  

I’m sure I am forgetting something but will send out another update at a later time.  

Be well,