Reply To: The New Lightroom

NancyGoodenough
Participant

I also watched Matt K’s video on how he has moved from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom (formerly Lightroom CC). The new version of Lightroom doesn’t need accessing Adobe’s cloud, which intrigued me. I figured it would be similar to using Bridge and it is, with the advantage of having access to folders on the same screen as the tools. But…. I watched and read further.

Lots of issues for me. A big no-go for me:

No virtual copies.

Can’t search across what is my current catalog on LRClassic.

No collections. (Albums in LR, but not across all images on various drives, a showstopper right there. I use Collections with abandon to find textures, clouds, sequences on a subject, a collection of images to work on sometime, portfolio subjects, and on and on.)

History Panel gone! That’s another showstopper!

All the edits are stored in a big “library file of sorts”

Ah, here’s a partial list of features no longer available if used to using LR Classic (from Matt K):

1. Book, Slideshow, Print, Web and Maps
    2. Export Presets
    3. Plug-in Support – though I think going to PS first is always better then invoke the plug-in from there. (MattK talking here)
    4. Publish Services
    5. Smart Collections
    6. Dual Screens
    7. Smart Objects to PS
    8. Multiple Photos at once to PS
    9. Hierarchical Keywords.
    10. Tethered Shooting
    11. Thorough Renaming tools
    12. Color Labels

From MattK again. Might be some more features you like that are missing from this new LR version instead of staying with LR Classic:

Here are the list of “main” features that Lightroom does not have, that LR Classic does.

It has keywords but not hierarchical keywords. If you don’t know what those are, you don’t need them.
    No Map, Slideshow, Book or Print Modules
    It has an Edit in Photoshop feature but doesn’t have the option that opens multiple photos at the same time, or Smart Objects.
    Plug-in Support – easily fixed by just going to PS first. Plus it’s better because it’s on a layer.
    Dual Screen Support
    Virtual Copies (Sync’d to cloud does, but not local)
    Tethered shooting
    Smart Collections
    Export Presets
    Color labels

Here’s where Matt K wrote this info… see the FAQ at the very bottom, after all the advertising for his videos…. https://mattk.com/evolving-with-lightroom/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Answering+Your+%22Goodbye+Lightroom%22+Questions+%28%2B+personal+message+from+me%29+%F0%9F%93%B7&utm_campaign=Evolving+with+Lightroom+%28Day+3+FAQ%29#faq

I’m sticking with LR Classic,

Nancy