Do we need to know?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SteveM CompChair
    Keymaster

So I hear over and over our judges saying what is it and am wondering does it matter? Here is an image that may fit into that category. I obviously know what it is as I captured it then processed it an a way that makes it even harder to make out what it might be. What do you all think about this image and the judge’s opinions of images like it.

_Z4A0259

terry connelly
      Participant

Not all art has the same expectations. In realistic styles, I might expect to “know” or recognize “what it is.” In abstract art, I have no such expectation. To judge everything by the same expectations show a lack of artistic background and understanding in my view. I think there are still artistic principles that are important in any work of art. Composition, Color theory, and an understanding of tonal quality, intentional focus, etc. are all far more relevant to any work than any need to “know what it is” in my view.

As to this work, I find the different textures in it intriguing. My mind does explore recognizable possibilities such as an umbrella or an eye. In the end, though that is unimportant and I can appreciate it for its artistic merits. I think the image has some magic and leaves me questioning however I am pulled out of the frame at the sides. The balance here is not working for me even though I am intrigued by the center.

SteveM CompChair
        Keymaster

Thank you Terry, I agree with your thoughts on do we need to know.

What is it that pulls you out of the frame at the sides and how would you correct it? FWIW there is detail in the black and very dark areas which I chose not to reveal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.