Forum font size

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve Muench

With my recent post to the general discussion forum where I took screenshots of my email and attached them to the post, on my iPhone the font sizes are very close in appearance.

As the monitor that I use with my desktop is 8 feet away, the default font requires me to zoom-in in order to read it. Reading the attached images is at a very comfortable size, and is comparable to that nice font used when quoting.

Can we increase the default font size to be proportionally closer to the font size used for quotes?It would go a long way towards reducing the need to zoom in and out. It also would be much easier on those of us who are not able to read such a small font size easily.

NancyGoodenough
      Participant

I have just read the thread regarding the zoom problem and having trouble reading the white on black. My eyes blur the letters together. I tried increasing the font size, but interestingly it got smaller. So I cmd-minus and I that increased the font image on my laptop, but wouldn’t go as large as I usually increase font size. I’m used to having to increase font size due to a few eye diseases.

SteveM CompChair
        Keymaster
          On Steve Muench said

With my recent post to the general discussion forum where I took screenshots of my email and attached them to the post, on my iPhone the font sizes are very close in appearance.

As the monitor that I use with my desktop is 8 feet away, the default font requires me to zoom-in in order to read it. Reading the attached images is at a very comfortable size, and is comparable to that nice font used when quoting.

Can we increase the default font size to be proportionally closer to the font size used for quotes?It would go a long way towards reducing the need to zoom in and out. It also would be much easier on those of us who are not able to read such a small font size easily.

Last week I increased the size from default to match the existing website font size. Looks like the actual post could use larger too. I will increase size of fonts for forum again. Let me know how you all like or dislike the new size.

UPDATE, I increased the font size on the main forum page here https://santarosaphotographicsociety.org/forums/ If you like it, I will match the size for posts as well. This will require me to wrote some custom code, so I may not get to it until Monday at the latest.

Steve Muench

It’s probably not readily apparent, but since I could not manually make fonts larger in my post (or change fonts), I composed the topic in my email program and took screenshots of that. The behavior that you see when you hit the + & – is what you see happen to images. It becomes clearer if you try to select text – you can’t. When I viewed this topic on my big screen from 8 feet away, it was very easy to read.

For me, especially at night, it is a real strain on my eyes to read black text on white. I wonder what it would take to have the forum’s appearance match the dark mode/light mode settings.

if and when the font size changes for posting, I will edit and replace the images with text.

I need to hook up my desktop (I’m doing this on my iPhone) so that I can view the main forum page and review the font size change.

SteveM CompChair
            Keymaster
              On Steve Muench said

It’s probably not readily apparent, but since I could not manually make fonts larger in my post (or change fonts), I composed the topic in my email program and took screenshots of that. The behavior that you see when you hit the + & – is what you see happen to images. It becomes clearer if you try to select text – you can’t. When I viewed this topic on my big screen from 8 feet away, it was very easy to read.

For me, especially at night, it is a real strain on my eyes to read black text on white. I wonder what it would take to have the forum’s appearance match the dark mode/light mode settings.

if and when the font size changes for posting, I will edit and replace the images with text.

I need to hook up my desktop (I’m doing this on my iPhone) so that I can view the main forum page and review the font size change.

Steve M, I have increased the initial small font size to match, and or be larger, than the rest of the website. I understand your frustration. I have a 27” which is much smaller than your 4k 48”er! However I usually sit within 18” from my screen. On occasion when I kick back I have my multi button mouse set up so I can increase my text size with a spin of a dial via my thumb. 🙂 I have a PC and the other option I have is in settings that increases the text size by percent, see screenshot. Maybe if there isn’t already, there will be software or settings that may adjust size on the fly, but I’m not aware of anything, for now the Forums text and images aren’t tiny anymore!

IMG_1777

NancyGoodenough
              Participant

Thank you!!

Editing, oops, I spoke too soon. Font is still really small. It looked larger because I had cmd-+ on this tab so I could read it.

SteveM CompChair
                Keymaster

Thank you!!

Editing, oops, I spoke too soon. Font is still really small. It looked larger because I had cmd-+ on this tab so I could read it.

The forums Font size now matches or exceeds the rest if the sites size. Show us a screen shot, I have checked on all my many displays and the small text that I initially had set is now gone.

Steve Muench

I’m not sure if you changed a setting, but on my iPhone, the posts are now in dark mode (even though the area for composing text is still black text on white).

however, that nice font used for quotes is now so dim against the black background, relative to the other text, that it is barely visible.

NancyGoodenough
                    Participant
                      On sruddysrps said

Thank you!!

The forums Font size now matches or exceeds the rest if the sites size. Show us a screen shot, I have checked on all my many displays and the small text that I initially had set is now gone.

Here’s what I see if I don’t cmd+

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 10.21.07 AM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.